Please visit https://duo.com/ for more information about using Duo for out-of-band authentication. Out-of-band authentication is a general term used to describe multi-factor authentication where at least one of the factors authenticates against something you have such as a physical device. A typical two-factor authentication scenario using an out-of-band authenticator is as follows:
You log in to a system by entering a username and password (factor #1: something you know) and then you are required to enter/verify a code sent to your mobile device (factor #2: something you have).
Using Duo with push notification is recommended over SMS, email, and voice, but it is not required. Duo is recommended for our personal and business banking customers because:
By default, your online banking user accounts are set up to require two-factor authentication on all external transfer of funds. This includes fund transfer and bill pay transactions. Two-factor authentication means you will be required to authenticate with something you know – your username
- It supports a variety of authentication methods.
- Easy-to-use push notifications – no more 6 to 8 digit codes to enter!
- It’s free up to 10 users which is great for personal use.
- Duo also has paid plans which is great for organizations who wish to protect their users, devices, and apps.
- Supports multiple trusted users and multiple trusted devices, all controlled by you.
- Accessibility: https://duo.com/docs/accessibility.
- Duo is integrated into our online banking solutions for authentication not just at the time of login, but at various stop points which you can control with a quick call to your local bank branch location, or secure message via online banking.
- It’s easy to setup. Just follow the on-screen instructions the first time you log in to the new online or mobile banking application.
and password – and something you have – a physical device such as a mobile phone. If you would like to tighten your security further, please contact your local bank branch. At your request, we can secure any of the following with out-of-band authentication using Duo:
- External Transfers (the default is always on)
- Creating Sub-user accounts
- Access to Bill Pay
- Bill Payment Scheduling
- Access to ACH Cash Management
- ACH Approval
- ACH Wire Approval
- Positive Pay Exceptions
- Remote Deposit Capture
Click here for a complete set of digital identity guidelines published by The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).